Life Transitions Intensive Outpatient Program
Astria Sunnyside Hospital's Life Transitions Intensive Outpatient Program serves our community's older adult population who are experiencing behavioral or emotional difficulties. Treatment focuses on restoring daily functioning, increasing one's overall sense of well-being, and improving quality of life.
Our Life Transitions program is the most comprehensive psychiatric program for older adults offered in eastern Washington. Our experienced staff provides expert information and therapy for you and your family about specific problems related to the aging brain and body, along with the social stressors that are unique to the older adult.
Structured short-term treatment options may include group therapy, individual counseling, family therapy, and psychiatric medication education and management.
The program is intended to provide treatment lasting 8 to 12 weeks. Exceptions may occur based on the client's progress. Clients attend group and individual therapy from 9 to 12 hours a week as ordered by the physician.
Our team includes psychiatrists, licensed mental health therapists, and administrative staff specializing in the needs of older adults.
Warning Signs of Late-Life Depression
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- Overeating or appetite loss
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Restlessness, pacing or fidgeting
- Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps or digestive problems that do not ease with treatment
- Deterioration of daily living routine
- Persistently sad, anxious or "empty" feelings
- Feelings of hopelessness, helplessness
- Increased irritability, anger
- Loss of self-worth (worries about being a burden, feelings of worthlessness, self-loathing)
- Excessive worries
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details and making decisions
- Preoccupation with death or dying
- Suicidal thoughts
- Social withdrawal and isolation (reluctance to be with friends or leave home)
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- Increased use of alcohol or other drugs
- Episodes of tearfulness
Referrals to Astria Sunnyside Hospital's Life Transitions Intensive Outpatient Program can be made by physicians, mental health professionals, clergy, residential care facilities or family members. Self-referrals are also welcome.