A heart rhythm disorder, known as an arrhythmia, is characterized by abnormal heart beat—too fast, too slow or uneven. Many arrhythmias don't pose a serious health danger, but for patients who require treatment, Astria Heart Institute's arrhythmia specialists have the training and expertise to provide advanced care.
Astria Heart Institute's arrhythmia specialists utilize advanced technology to measure the heart's electrical activity and identify damage to the heart. Doctors use tests such as an electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG), electrophysiology studies or a Holter monitor, which records heart activity over a period of time, to diagnose arrhythmias.
State-of-the-Art Arrhythmia Treatment
Depending on the type and severity of the arrhythmia, there are a range of treatment options. Astria Heart Institute provides comprehensive arrhythmia treatment, from lifestyle-modification assistance to highly complex surgical treatment:
- Lifestyle modification and medical management: Stress, caffeine, alcohol or other substances can contribute to arrhythmias. Astria Heart Institute provides education and resources to help you adopt healthier lifestyle habits to eliminate arrhythmias. When lifestyle changes are insufficient, arrhythmia specialists can develop a treatment plan using medications.
- Cardioversion: Fast arrhythmias and some cases of atrial fibrillation are treated by delivering a controlled electrical shock to the heart, utilizing an ECG monitor and a defibrillator.
- Catheter ablation: A catheter fitted with a tiny electrode is used to eliminate abnormal heart cells that are causing the arrhythmia.
- Implantable devices: Pacemakers and Implanted Defibrillator are surgically placed just under the skin—with lead wires placed into the heart. These devices send electrical signals to the heart to regulate heart rate and rhythm.
- Surgical ablation: When other treatment options are insufficient, arrhythmia specialists can perform surgery to remove the tissue that is causing the arrhythmia.