10 holiday gifts under $50
Dec. 1, 2018—Let's face it: Finding the right holiday gift can be tricky. There's your friend who always regifts, your oh-so-fussy niece and your mom who insists she doesn't need a thing. So what's a gift giver to do?
Here are 10 ideas designed to please nearly everyone on your list. All are all under $50—some are even free. Best of all: These gifts keep on giving. That's because each one will help boost the health of the person who receives it.
1. DIY relaxation kit. Stuff a festive basket with a few candles, add some incense or specialty soap, and top it off with a gift card for some new music—or a CD, if that’s more your loved one’s style.
2. Get-active gift certificates. No need to use a credit card or shell out any cash for these. Just create your own certificate. Offer a few hours of free babysitting so a friend can squeeze in gym trips. Or pledge a week of brisk walks with someone who could use an exercise buddy.
3. Workout playlist. Share your favorite get-pumped tunes so the people you care for can push through their last few weight reps or bike laps.
4. Specialty socks. This oldie-but-goodie gift can be a surprise hit—modern running socks can help the long-distance runners in your life stay on track all year round, keeping their feet dry and blister-free.
5. Kettlebell. This hand weight looks a little like a cannonball with a handle on top. It's great for cardio, strength and flexibility training. And because it can provide an intense workout in a fairly short time, it's a good match for anybody with a busy schedule.
6. Recipe cards. Customize a cookbook, and treat the chefs in your life to a collection of healthy recipes that you know are crowd-pleasers.
7. Resistance bands. Lightweight and portable, these strength-training tools are easy to stuff in a suitcase. And the travelers on your list can use them to work out nearly every muscle group.
8. Pedometer. Consider giving everybody in your family this step-counting gadget for some friendly competition. See who can rack up the most steps every day.
9. Exercise mat. Help a friend with their floor routine—surprise them with this soft cushion for stretching and doing crunches, planks and push-ups.
10. Running belt. Help the joggers (and walkers) on your list keep their keys, phone and other personal items within reach while they work out.